2011 Report – Rodger Wrublik

We had about twice the amount of entrants that we had last year
and the run seems to be really taking off. We had three runners that
we thought had a real chance at making the minimum mileage
requirements and going the distance in the 1000 mile challenge, but
unfortunately, one of the runners, an international entrant, couldn’t
even make it into the states because of the recent hurricane and two
others missed the one mile requirement per hour. After the second day
there was only one participant left in contention for the 1000 mile
challenge, which to my surprise, was me.

For myself, I nearly didn’t start. The night before, we had a problem
finding a key component to our timing system and because of that, I
was up the entire night, looking for it. At about 5 minutes before the
start of the run, wearing my work clothes and work shoes, I told John
Geesler that I wasn’t going to start. I told him that I hadn’t had a
chance to even change my clothes, let alone get any aid ready for
myself. John said no way, and would not let me use that as an excuse.
He convinced me to start the run and at least run the one mile each
hour requirement and maybe I would feel better as the run progressed.
I reluctantly took his advise, made the minimum one mile lap each hour
and in between those laps, made trips back and forth to the hotel to
change my clothes and get my gear together. It all worked out and I’m
so glad that John was so supportive. It was a blast.

Sadly, Ed Ettinghausen made an error on the first night (by
oversleeping) and John Geesler made an error on the second night
(missed recording a lap), which left just myself still in contention
for the 1000. All of the other six day entrants had no intentions of
going for the 1000 mile challenge.

All went well for myself on the first two days, with John Geesler
giving me his support and advice. That is, until an injury from two
months ago at Hardrock, a tendon in my ankle, started playing havoc. I
taped the ankle and it seemed to help for about a day but by the third
day, things were getting much worse. Except for the ankle, I felt
great, but with the bad ankle it was next to impossible to get down
the steep grades with any speed. Each one mile loop has 250 feet of
climb per lap and that all happens in about a quarter mile stretch,
which makes for some really steep climbs and descents.

On the forth, day the 72 hour runnners started their race and I was
doing okay until about mid day. At that time, I was desperate to find
a way to fix my ankle so that I could run again and while in the
process of taping my own ankle for the second time, Joel & Reina
Jenkins from Hawaii (The Foot Guy and his wife who were running in the
72 hour), asked if they could help. Joel taped me up and most of the
pain was immediately gone. This held up for about a day but by the
fifth day, not even the taping was working and I was, once again,
reduced to a sideways crawl on the downhills. One more time, Joel
stepped in and re-taped the ankle which helped immensely but by this
time I had already lost way too much time. I continued on, but
couldn’t make up all those lost miles and came up short of the
required 350 miles to continue on in the challenge. I did, however,
complete a mile lap each and every hour and did finish with a total of
311 miles. I could have added a few more miles but decided to save the
ankle and settle with a 500k finish. Missing the minimum mileage of
350 for the six days, I became the last runner to be knocked out of
contention for the 1000 mile challenge. Long story short, I truly
believe the 1000 mile challenge is possible and feel that next year
will prove that.

There were many other very strong performances. In the 6 day last
year, we only had a single 200 mile finisher, this year we gave out
three 200 mile buckles and one 300 mile buckle. Dave Combs surprised
all of us with 133 miles and a young local, Cody Braford, who had
never run more than 24 miles before and just started running 6 months
ago, really surprised everyone with a strong 150 miles. Ed
Ettinghausen with his crazy costumes was amazingly strong and went 251
miles. Jean Jacques d’Aquin completed 233 miles – 33 more miles than
last years winner. Elroy Whitworth, not only went 205 miles but also
volunteered almost as much as he ran. It’s people like Elroy that make
these types of events so special!

In the 72 hour, we had a really strong showing from longtime friend
Dennis Drey with 138 miles. We also had a big group of runners from
Hawaii which are part of the HURT 100 group. Two in that group, Mike
Garcia and Patricia Carroll were on the course all hours of the day
and night and completed114 miles each. In the 48 hour we had some
solid 100 mile mile performances from William Murphy and Bill Losey.
In the 24 hour run, we had a local artisan that does all of our awards
do his first 50 miler. His name is Ken Webb and owns the Quiet Bear
Art Studio in Silverton. Here’s his site: http://www.quietbearart.com/

I’d like to publicly thank the Jamil and Nick Coury and Aravaipa
Running (http://aravaiparunning.com) for stepping in and taking over
all of the race day directing duties so that I could participate in
this run. It was more fun than I could have ever imagined! Thanks so
much to everyone that helped out and participated!

Registration for next years event will open on or before October 1st

Rodger Wrublik – RD

Silverton, Colorado

Silverton Special Events
Silverton 1000 & 6 Day
Silverton Alpine Marathon & 50k
Kendall Mountain Run